Friday 20 December 2013

County Cricket News: Durham

DURHAM

Jon Lewis has been appointed the new coach after stepping up temporarily from the 2nd's when then coach Geoff Cook was left in critical condition following a heart attack back in June of this year.

Jon Lewis previously represented Essex and Durham, captaining both teams towards the end of his time at each county.The right-handed batsman achieved 205 first-class matches averaging 31.92 - his highest score of 210. He retired in 2006 and transitioned into coaching the academy at Durham and then the second squad.

Lewis helped Cook lead Durham to their third County Championship title last season.

Geoff Cook has worked at Durham since they have been a part of the County Championships in 1991. He has returned this season to an old role: overseeing the club's academy. He spoke about his return; "I feel absolutely, 100% fine and now I'm looking forward to getting back into cricket. Obviously what happened came as a real shock to my family. But cricket's in my blood and I'm planning for next year."

Lewis spoke about his new job title, saying; "I'm delighted to continue in this role and excited to keep giving our homegrown players an opportunity to shine. Having been second XI coach for many years I have worked with a lot of them and I'm hopeful of developing a good partnership alongside Paul Collingwood."
____________


Ball on Willow.

No comments:

Post a Comment