Tuesday 19 November 2013

New Ball to the Blogging World

BALL ON WILLOW

Why?

Allow me a few words to explain myself...

My name is Jessica Ball. Born and bred in London with no plans to ever leave.

I have just turned 21 (boy did I milk that birthday!) and made the seemingly controversial decision, after a fantastic gap year travelling around Asia, to dismiss the social convention that is university. See, I've never been great with tests, revision, "reading around the subject" - so uni, it just wasn't for me.

Instead, I chose to join a company called Inapub.

www.inapub.co.uk

Let me make this perfectly clear. I do not work In A Pub, but for Inapub.

They are a company that helps Pubs and Breweries connect with people by creating offers and vouchers, listing events, advertising their services, facilities, menu's and drinks and build a loyal community. Also connecting all that content with our content partners like Google; national publishers, tourist boards and mobile app developers. Plus you can connect it to your social networks, like Facebook and Twitter. You do it once we find your customers everywhere! 

Anyway...


I've now been there over 2 years and have progressed into a well-established role running their social media, promoting their services and competitions. Hence the reason this blog exists.

See, I started playing cricket at the age of 5. I was the second girl to join Ealing Cricket Club sometime ago in the late-90s and have been hooked to the sport ever since.

***This is where the name of the blog has come from. Jessica Ball. Ball. A cricket bat is made of willow. Willow. Ball on Willow. Get it? Well I thought it was rather clever...***

Before I found cricket I had gymnastics. As a toddler I am told I loved it, continuing with it until I turned 16. In that time I found a general love of sport. All sport. Almost all sport.

From the obvious football, rugby, tennis and golf to the NFL and NBA - I have some sort of interest in all of them. (Liverpool, Harlequins, Murray and Donald, New York Jets and Knicks)

If I hadn't told my name, or that I joined the girls section at ECC you might have been a little shocked to know my gender. Most are surprised when I open my mouth and stats pour out about the sport of your choosing. In all fairness I don't think it's my fault - I think my dad was desperate for a son, I had to do!

By the age of 11 I narrowed down the sports I played (never the ones I watched) and by 13 I was a double indoor cricket champion for my club Ealing. This was also at the time of my first season playing for Middlesex girls U13s. For anyone who would understand, I was a rather appalling batsmen (the bails were roughly in line with waist!!) but I had great reflexes - the latter making me the perfect candidate for a wicketkeeper.

Once I started winter training in the nets with the U15s I knew I'd entered a different league of the game. My batting was not up to scratch and I had competition as first choice keeper. As one of the youngest in the squad it was always going to be a challenge to be selected in the 1st XI and it was a slightly frustrating season for me. Still, I stuck with it and decided I had to try a little more seriously at bowling - with not a lot of success.

With one of the most incredible opportunities I have still ever received to date - my father bid in an auction at Graham Gooch's annual charity fundraiser for a session for 2 in the Nursery at Lord's with the legend himself.

Shaking uncontrollably I begin my session in the nets improving my technique on the pull shot. Maybe 20 minutes later John Emburey strolls passed, waving to Gooch. He comes over to chat and the rest of our session is devoted to picking apart and rebuilding my bowling action. To cut a long story short I never kept again but instead took 3 5-wicket hauls over my last season with Middlesex.

I could go on to say Essex were playing Middlesex in a t20 game that evening and as the Essex batters began to warm up I might have been bowling to Chopra who scored the winning runs. And I may or may not have taken full credit for that win!....but I won't.

U15s was my final season playing competitive cricket at both Gunnersbury and Middlesex. Unfortunately a tumble went wrong in my gymnastics and I injured my back. After that I was never as good as I once was so I chose to get my qualification as a coach. To this day I still coach at Ealing every Friday during the season with the youngsters challenging my rusty ability in most sessions! Watching the girls come through the club and into the new ladies team is a pleasure to watch and I'm glad it plays such a big part at Ealing.


So that's me.

Ball on Willow.

No comments:

Post a Comment